National Council On Aging Offers 6 Tax-Time Tips for Seniors

1. See if there’s a tax relief program that can help you.

You may be able to lower your annual property tax bills or get a tax credit from local programs such as abatement, circuit breaker, or work-off programs. On average, you can save $500-$2,000 annually with this assistance if you qualify. NCOA’s free online BenefitsCheckUp® service can help you find available programs—and even apply online.
Use BenefitsCheckUp®

2. Get free tax assistance from the IRS.

The IRS’ Tax Counseling for the Elderly Program offers free tax help for people aged 60+, with a focus on pensions and retirement issues. The IRS also offers self-assistance service at select locations. If you have a simple tax return and need a little help or don’t have access to a computer, you can visit one of the sites to have an IRS-certified volunteer guide you through the process.
Find out more from the IRS

3. Protect yourself from tax scams.

Scammers commonly target older adults at tax time. A new scam reported this year tricks low-income seniors into filing for fraudulent refunds or stimulus payments. A recent property tax scam in San Diego saw fraudsters sending personalized letters to homeowners offering a paid reassessment to help reduce taxes.
Learn about scams and how to protect yourself

4. Explore how to use and protect your home equity.

If you’re a homeowner, your house is likely your biggest financial asset. You may be able to tap into your equity to pay for your expenses. NCOA’s new website Home Equity Advisor can help you explore your financial situation and possible solutions. Take a free Quick Check to get personalized tips and resources.
Visit Home Equity Advisor

5. Review this year’s changes in the tax law.

The Women’s Institute for a Secure Retirement offers a 2011 Tax Update with changes in the tax law that might affect what you have to pay.
See what’s new

6. Save your tax refund.

For individuals with limited incomes, tax time is often one of the only opportunities to save. If you receive a large refund, consider putting the money into a savings account or into U.S. Savings Bonds. New tax forms now include purchase options for U.S. Savings Bonds.


Leave a comment

Filed under adult children of aging parents, Adult day care, Alzheimer's Disease, anxiety and the elderly, assessments, care giving, care planning, caregiver burnout, caregiving, caregiving and the holidays, dementia, Depression and the elderly, elder care raleigh nc, employee stress, Geriatric Care Management, Long Term Care Insurancee, long term care planning, NC, Nursing Homes, nursing homes and assisted living, paying for home care, Raleigh, respite, senior care, Seniors and driving, sibling relationships, support groups, tax tips for seniors, travel with seniors

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s